Wednesday, April 27, 2011

More tales about Ireland

Lee and I have had so many wonderful and memorable experiences in Ireland. Every place we have visited has given us memories which are priceless, and memories that I shall always cherish. On one visit Lee and I had stopped in a small seaside town . It was getting close to lunch time and we needed to exchange some U.S. dollars for the Irish Punt. As I said "it was a wee town" with only a bank, a hotel and a few other small businesses. When exchanging money the bank requires a passport which I quickly supplied. While in the bank I inquired about a place to eat lunch. The hotel in town was recommended, and Lee and I finished our business and proceeded over to the hotel for lunch. While we were enjoying our lunch, which by the way was a lovely and delicious chowder, I heard my name called out. The bank had called the hotel to see if we had taken their advice to eat there. Apparently, while exchanging money and engaging in some chitchat at the bank I had forgotten my passport. After lunch Lee and I proceeded towards the bank to pick up my passport and be on our way. We should have known better, things just do not happen quickly in Ireland. The bank was closed for lunch which we had completely forgotten is a European custom. The bank would reopen at 1400 for business. Next to the bank was a Video store and we decided to inquire over there, well the lady knew who we were, and told us the woman who works in the bank had informed her in that an American couple would be stopping in to retrieve a passport. The Video store lady actually had the key to the bank, but we said we would wait. No point in creating a fuss about it, she came back shortly and we headed to the West of Ireland. Lee and I were just amazed at how casual everything was there, and further more the trouble they went through to get my passport back to me. It is just one example of the generosity and honesty of the locals.
Another time, Lee and I were celebrating our 30th anniversary, we had no particular plans, no room reservations,etc. Twenty years ago this was easy to do, there were always B & B's or maybe a small hotel to stay. We were pretty spontaneous in those days, the days of our youth. If we stumbled upon something interesting we would just get a room and stay a few days. Well, Lady Luck steered us right to a B & B called Ardmore House in a small town called Clifden in the West of Ireland. The woman who ran it named Kathy Mullins is just a delightful, generous, and hardworking hostess. Behind their house their land spread out all the way to the Mannin Bay which runs off the Atlantic Ocean. The Mullins dog, a large "Old English Sheepdog" named Sam followed us everywhere. When we returned home and were reviewing our photographs "Sam" appeared in nearly every shot. Lee and I took many, many, long walks along the bay which was deserted albeit for the two of us. Actually, it was just the way we like it, Lee and me. We walked out to the bay early one morning and felt fortunate to be able to enjoy watching the dolphins frolicking in the morning sun.
Kathy's husband Padraig played the fiddle at one of the local pubs, we are not much for drinking, but decided to go, especially since they had invited us. We had lots of fun, singing along with the music, and enjoying the local scene. Thank heavens we didn't imbibe much for the road back to the B&B is a very narrow and twisty road which is dangerous even when one is stone sober.
We recommended Ardmore House to several friends who also thoroughly enjoyed their stay, and the accommodations and generosity of the Mullins family.
I will stop for tonight, thank you to all my readers for your support. I appreciate it.
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment